7.28.2011

Seven Summer Songs - The Devyn Edition

Surprise!

Its not Monday, but its a music post!  

Herc is here too!  Its a special edition of Herc's 7 song playlists, featuring ME!
With summer in full swing, I felt like this needed to be shared as soon as Herc and I finished it.  We collaborated and did a sort of he said/she said situation.  This was a really fun collabo.  Is that a word?  I just made it.  Once it is on the interwebs though, its fact, right?  Right.

I can't wait anymore, here you go!  Tell us what you think!  Be sure to grab the Spotify playlist at the bottom too!

7 Summer Songs - The Devyn Edition
[part of ongoing series 7 Song Playlists]

“Party Rock Anthem” - LMFAO

DEV says:
I love this song.  It sounds like three different songs all put together in one and I love mash-ups like that.  See: Girl Talk!
HERC says:
I, too, am enamored of this party track and have hereby proclaimed it a 2012 Summer Jam!  The two guys who are LMFAO are the son and grandson of Motown founder Barry Gordy.  They are the brother and nephew to Rockwell (of “Somebody’s Watching Me” fame) whose real name is Kennedy William Gordy and are uncle and nephew to each other if that makes sense.  The video is epic goodness of the classic MTV variety.

“(Mucho Mambo) Sway” - Shaft

DEV says:
I discovered and then listened to this song over an over again for an entire summer, the year that HP4 book came out.  Non. Stop.  I still love it and I can’t get enough of it.  It is best served up loud and in your car.  Try and not dance to it, I dare you.
HERC says:
By now, Devyn has surely realized that is a classic mambo first recorded in its original Spanish in 1953 and recorded in English the next year by Dean Martin.  Scores of other artists have covered the song since including Dev’s favorites Michael Buble and the late great Pussycat Dolls.  Dev may not remember that this was one of two competing “mambo” songs from the summer of 1999 - the other was Lou Bega’s version of “Mambo No. 5”.

        “Armada Latina” - Cypress Hill featuring Marc Anthony & Pitbull

DEV says:
I have a deep love for rappers and the fast paced words.  This one just has the perfect Miami vibe.  I've never been to Miami, but I'm pretty sure this is about as close as I can get.  The hook, the lyrics, the vibe, the beat...total package for my ears.  I do like mojitos...
HERC says:
Devyn turned me on to this song last summer.  I enjoyed the meshing and blending of the different styles, cultures and voices and felt it was perfectly produced by Jim Jonsin.  You may not know his name but you have heard his work before: Trick Daddy’s “Let’s Go” with it’s Ozzy Osbourne hook; Lil Wayne’s quiet stunner “Lollipop”; T.I.’s breezy “Whatever You Like” and Nelly’s mellow “Just A Dream” just to name a few.

“Dog Days Are Over” - Florence + the Machine

DEV says:
Quiet and slow to rockin' out and loud.  The definition of summer 2010.  I had to clear my Itunes play count of this song recently because it was embarrassing.
HERC says:
This was one of those songs that came out, did okay and then faded away before roaring back and doing even better the second time around.  For many people, the first time they heard it was in the trailer for Eat.Pray.Love. which kicked off the song’s second coming.

“Summertime” - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince 

DEV says:
Another song that just nails the vibe.  This song can seriously set the mood for me.  Pop radio stations are playing it this summer which is kinda nice since it has always been on my summer rotation.
HERC says:
This has been the perrenial Summer Jam since its release 20 years ago.  What a lot of listeners don’t realize is that the song’s mellow music is courtesy of Kool & the Gang and their song “Summer Madness”.  Herc keeps plenty of Kool & the Gang on his Summer playlists.

“Kiss” - Prince & the Revolution 

DEV says:
Prince will always remind me of my dad, along with several other groups, but this song is the best sing aloud in your car song.  I rarely heard my dad sing along to songs but when he did, it was a great track.  I once heard him sing along to this, in the Purple minivan!  Work that falsetto!  
HERC says:
Your Dad sounds like a righteous fellow and it’s a cosmic conikydink that Herc once drove a sweet purple Caravan himself.  The story behind “Kiss” is this:  Prince produced a brief, mostly acoustic demo with a fragment of the verse and chorus, then gave it to Mazarati, a band he had signed to his label as they were short on material for their debut album.  They spent all night re-working the song and when Prince heard the track the following day, he promptly took it back and put his lead vocals on it but kept Mazarati’s background vocals.  He also added the distinctive guitar solo and soon had his third #1 song.  It also won a Grammy.  If you, like Devyn, can’t get enough of “Kiss”, seek out the extended version which is almost twice as long as the original album version.  The single also features a non-album B-side called “Love Or Money” (actually Prince uses the symbols for “heart” and “money”).

“In The Summertime” - Mungo Jerry 

DEV says:
I first heard this in a Denny’s commercial of all places.  I sang it all the time, without knowing the words until my dad gave me a CD with it on it to “learn the words”.  I assume he was tired of hearing me sing it in the shower, in the car, in the house, everywhere with no words or the wrong words.   
HERC says:
Speaking of the wrong words, this sunny, mellow celebration of the joys of summer has but one flaw: the lyric “have a drink/have a drive”.  As a survivor of two drunk driver caused accidents and someone who lost a cousin to a drunk driver, Herc cannot abide by the original lyrics and instead chooses to sing “have a drink/have a ride”.  This concludes this PSA.  Thanks for reading.  Oh and never assume anything, your Dad sounds like he is just a generous guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...