7.20.2011

Seven of My Favorite Ways To Use Butter

hiya! 

Do you like butter?  Do you really like butter?  Me, I'd say my feelings for butter are more along the lines of the other 4 letter L-word.  

That's right.  I said it.  Love.

I love butter.  Not just because it makes up a major part of my life(career).  Not just because it is delicious...but that certainly helps.  I mostly love it for its versatility.  Savory applications, sweet applications, even lubricating my fat fingers to get a too-small ring off.  

Have you ever made fresh butter? I did it once on accident and since then it has never been an accident.  Fresh cream, sea salt, mixer, warm bread or fresh tortillas and all of a sudden my day has turned around.  Life changing moments.  

Anyways, I'd like to share with you my favorite uses of this delicious treat.


Seven Of My Favorite Ways To Use Butter:
 
  • Buttercream.  Yes, the frosting.  The sheer amount of butter used is borderline criminal.  The pure and utter deliciousness of it is absolutely criminal.  I make it all the time, which means I consume it all the time(duh.).  By my simple math I am a criminal.  And that is okay by me because if loving buttercream is wrong, then I have no intention of EVER being right again.  
  • Lobster.  Drawn butter is lobster's sidekick to most people.  In my mind lobster is the robin to drawn butter's batman.  Lobster is okay.  Its texture can and has been compared to butter and this is a true comparison but the star of the show has always been butter.  Amen.
  • Slathered on a fresh tortilla.  I'm Mexican and I am drawn to tortillas in every form.  We can talk about this at another time.  But a fresh flour tortilla slathered in melty fresh butter is my personal nirvana.  Everything else starts to fade away and voices sound like the teacher in Charlie Brown and the only thing that makes sense is the tortilla in my hand with the butter in front of me.  
  • Cookies.  Everyone likes cookies.  Everyone has made cookies before.  Everyone knows you need butter to make any cookie worth eating....right?  First step to 90% of the best cookies ever? Creaming together butter and sugar.  Yep, great cookies start with butter.
  • Croissants.  You ever had one?  That delicious flaky texture you love?  All thanks to butter.  It is painstakingly laminated between layers of dough over and over again until there are hundreds of tiny thin layers.  
  • Melted atop pancakes/waffles/french toast.  I love breakfast.  That's another love note for another time.  These three things are my favorites.  I don't even need syrup if I've got butter on them.  Yes, I eat them (almost) naked.  The butter just imparts a rich, velvety flavor that syrup can either elevate or completely drown out.  This is a game of balance.
  • Melted all over corn on the cob.  Based on my love for corn ice cream as shown here  it has already been established that I love corn in most every form.  My favorite way: leave it on the cob, throw it on the grill, roll heavily in butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Enjoy.  Bask in the butter running down your chin, the corn kernels stuck in your teeth, dwell in that moment as if it is the only thing that matters right now because its worth it.  

I think its safe to say that butter is one of my all time favorite condiments.    Aside from all of its delicious properties, it also is a great moisturizer.  Any food that multitasks outside of the kitchen is a friend of mine.  

mmmmmmmm....butter.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:25:00 PM

    Butter recipe please&thank you - KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get some cream, put it in a mixer and use the whisk attachment. Whip it! Past fluffy whip cream stage, it'll break and look like curds. Once the liquid separates(that's buttermilk) knead the curds together, salt for your taste. Enjoy. Make pancakes or biscuits with your freshly made buttermilk and lather your fresh butter all over them. Easy.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...