7.31.2011

Seven Greatest Candy Bars

Can we talk?  I have a problem. 

Its Sunday again which normally means guest blogger time!  Alas, I have apparently tapped out my resources.  I only know 3 people willing to write me a guest post?  That makes me a little sad.  I give you free reign.  Any topic, commentary or not, and I rarely edit.  Come on!  I'm not begging, but I'm asking you with a sad look on my face....wanna guest blog for me?

You'll wish you took me up on this once I hit the big time.  I promise you that.  I also promise to forget all of the small people.  Big time Devyn = big time friends.  Remember this, small people.




Moving on, today let's discuss candy bars!  I am in food, so I consider it my responsibility to have hands on knowledge on all things in my realm.  Candy is definitely a pastry type treat.  I am also a red blooded American which means I was raised on candy.  I have the teeth to prove it!  Candy is highly personal to me.  Everyone has a favorite and more often than not it is a nostalgic memory. I don't eat just anything.  I won't settle.  I eat what I want or I eat nothing.  

To me, there are two types of candy: bars or bite size candies.  I don't mean bite sized versions of bars, but candies that are smaller or always individually wrapped.  Like m&m's or the mints that Sonic gives out.  I have compiled a list of my favorite candy bars today and am planning out a follow up piece on the bite size variety.  

Today is just a little bit different in that I am assigning homework.  If you have not had any of the bars on this list, go out and have them.  I want you to get the full hands on experience.  Then, comment and tell me all about it and tell me what your faves are and I will rush out to the store and have my own hands on experience.   


Seven Favorite Candy Bars:



Zagnut: I first discovered this bar when I was visited Hershey, PA a little over a year ago!  Its been around for a few decades and is definitely my favorite chocolate free candy bar of all time.  Crunchy peanut butter and toasted coconut come together to create a symphony in your mouth and on your tongue.  So crispy and just delicious.  When I first saw them, the name caught my interest and the word coconut made me say “ew”.  Feeling adventurous I bought one.  I ate it right away and was hooked.  I then bought 6 to take back to Pittsburgh where I was for 6 weeks and bought several more and then brought a few dozen back to Arizona for my family.  Turns out nobody liked them like I did.  Oh well, their loss.  I now almost always have some on hand at my house.  Emergencies, you know.

(like right now, as I write this I had to tap my stash just to make sure I described it right...)


 


Kit Kat: Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!  Catchiest theme song for a candy bar? I think so.  I almost only enjoy this bar straight out of the refrigerator.  I love the layers and the texture and the supreme satisfaction that comes from this bar.  We almost always have them at work and that is a very bad thing...

Snickers: To me, this is the perfect chocolate candy bar available.  Salty, sweet, chewy, caramely, nougaty, smooth, crunchy and just awesome.  I met a fellow pastry professional who replicated this candy bar as a dessert and it is on my top 5 list of best composed desserts I’ve ever had.  I wish I could make it as well as she did.  My biggest problem is that the bar is so small...so many calories packed into that tiny little guy, though.  

100 Grand:  Caramel is an instant winner in my life.  Gooey delicious caramel.   Makes me drool every single time.  This bar is also coated with crisped rice, which as I’m sure you will concur, provides the perfect amount of crunch and texture.  I try to stay away from these since they lead to more visits with my dentist.  Lovely guy, but I know him too well due to my frequent trips.  Let’s just call it a job hazard.  The mini 100 grands are so so so very deadly.  Beware!

Pay Day: I rarely live my life with superstitions.  That being said, one that I adhere to is that I eat a pay day on pay day.  I invented this, and I find it to be very clever.  I think it helps.  Don’t argue with me.  Anyways this bar is the definition of salty sweet to me.  Salty peanuts cover the perfect caramel center.  It can help boost energy too because of the protein.  Maybe they should market it as an energy bar?

Butterfinger: “Crispety Crunchety Peanut Buttery” Their slogan makes them a favorite of mine already!  I blame this candy bar for 50% of my cavities.  The other 50% shall be determined in a future post.  

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups:
 I am pretty sure that I would be kicked out of my family if I didn’t enjoy this delicacy.  Its almost its own food group in our house.  There are usually some in the refrigerator crisper drawer.  Its one food that all 5 of us enjoy.  Chilled is the best, but I’ve eaten it every single way.  Room temp, melty, melted, puddled, off the floor, frozen, even fried!  Obviously this is a classic candy bar combination of chocolate and peanut butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...