7.26.2011

Seven Best Pizzas I've Eaten

Silly question: Who doesn't like pizza? 

Everyone has their preferences.  Everyone has a favorite pizza.  Deep dish, thin, saucy, no sauce, cheeses, herbs, vegetables, fruits, meats, crusts, baking method, well done, underdone, etc etc. I have tried a lot of pizza and have compiled a list of my favorites as of this moment.  My list varies from gourmet to cheap frozen pizzas, but they are all delicious.

I love pizza.  I will probably never turn it down.  I don't like beer, but would take a six pack of Dr. Pepper and any one of these pizzas as my best easy meal.  If I ever go on a date ever again, I want to have a weekly pizza date.  So casual.  Some of my favorite moments happened over pizza or with pizza involved.  Birthdays, moving, family time.  Pizza might just be one of my faves. 

The Seven Best Pizzas I've Ever Eaten:

Barro's Mega Meat - Barro's is an Arizona phenomenon.  I was only introduced to their magical thick crusted pies about two years ago, but I have long since made up for the years I never knew it existed.  This pizza has every meat on it, along with plenty of cheese and sauce.  Their crust is thick and sturdy and can handle all of the meat and still taste great.  I love it.  Meaty goodness.


Peter Piper Pizza's Bacon Double Cheeseburger - This pie is a go to staple in my family's house in Tucson.  I have only had it once outside of Tucson and not in the company of my family and it didn't taste the same.  It must be Tucson magic at work again.  Beef, cheddar cheese AND mozzarella, tomatoes, onions, bacon bits all atop their thinner crust.  So.Darn.Good.  Peter Piper does carry out too.  We used to have our birthday parties at PPP for YEARS, but now its like a circus in there and I'd rather eat my pizza sitting on the curb and using my jeans as a napkin. 

Pizzeria Bianco's Wiseguy - This is one of the most popular restaurants in Phoenix.  Its tiny, they don't do carry out or take reservations and sometimes you can wait HOURS just to get a table.  Luckily there is a bar next door to help pass the time.  PB has been named best in the country many times.  Chris Bianco, owner/chef of this joint is so dedicated to quality that it puts others to shame.  Let me give an example: Ships his water from NYC, makes his own cheese, makes his own dough, makes his own sauce, makes his own sausage, grows all herbs right there on property and OH YEAH still can be seen at the restaurant every night.  The wiseguy pizza is one of only 6 pizza offerings.  It has caramelized onions, that homemade fennel sausage, smoked house made mozzarella cheese and no sauce all on their amazing chewy crust.  I am drooling all over my keyboard thinking about this pizza right now, I kid you not.  Please come visit me here and I will take you to this place.  My treat.

Kirkland Signature Frozen Cheese Pizza - Yes, this is the Costco house brand.   At that great big warehouse, $9.99 will buy you 4 ten-inch pizzas from the freezer section.  KM and I can polish off one pizza in a sitting together, so that's dinner for 2 @ $2.50.  SOLD.  Its a four cheese blend, on a better than average crust that has panko breadcrumbs on the bottom as opposed to cornmeal.  A pleasant surprise, and the very best part, I must say.  Costco has its flaws in our society, but this is definitely a step towards world peace, I just know it. 


 Red Baron Four Cheese Pizza - Another frozen delicacy.  This one hails from my childhood and I am pleased to say it still exists.  Its a boring thin crust pizza, with supposedly 4 cheeses on top of some tangy sauce.  The magic here comes from the green herb sprinkled all over the top.  Until I discovered that Costco pizza brand, this was my go-to.  Sadly it is not anymore, but I still have the memories from back in the day.


Mama's Pizza Supreme - This joint is hidden behind a shopping center, and adjacent to a high school in Tucson's east side.  My family has been going here for as long as I can remember.  They serve pizzas as big around as you can imagine.  Huge ones that a single slice of equals three regular slices.  They make this traditional supreme pizza that is just perfect every single time.  I really only go here for the doors that lead to the restrooms, they are swinging western saloon style doors.  I get such a kick out of barging through with my hands on my holsters, getting ready to go wrangle up some cattle just as soon as I finish my pizza. 

Pepperoni Pizza From That Bowling Alley - When I was in grade school, we had hot lunch every Thursday.  It alternated between pizza and either McDonald's or Eegees every other week.  The pizza you could order cheese or pepperoni and it cost $1.50.  You had to bring an envelope with your money, your name, your classroom and your order on it every Thursday.  Mom and Dad would write our envelopes out for us and help us decide our order and we would proudly carry them to school.  Then at lunch time, we got our treat.  The pepperoni pizza was always just a little too greasy but always DELICIOUS.  Guess where this pizza came from?  From the little cafe in the bowling alley across the street.  A bowling alley.  Go figure.

Runners up include: KM's vegetable pizza, Hungry Howie's anything, Papa John's garlic butter, and Pizza Hut's Pan pizza/lunch buffet/dessert pizzas


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:12:00 PM

    Just chiming in and nominating Bazil's Pizza here in Tucson as one of the best I've had, probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's more than one Mama's in town, just so you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am aware Spencer. But sometimes the memories make the location. DUR. :)

    Also, Cory: take me to basils and I will take you to pizzeria bianco.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The late, lamented Godfather's Pizza was primo as was the legendary Garcia's Pizza with their single slice Gutbuster and their Flying Tomato Brothers balloon. No love for the California Pizza Kitchen? Amongst frozen pies, their BBQ Chicken ranks high. Seriously, though, I could eat pizza every meal, every day for the rest of my life and you know God puts out some awesome all you can eat pizza buffets upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CPK is not my most favorite and its mostly because of the aftershocks...if you know what I mean.

    Hercules, come to PHX sometime with no plans and let's go eat at pizzeria bianco. Bring Mrs Herc and the mini Herc's too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie H (from OMOS)9:37:00 PM

    Ahhhh! This post made me laugh SO hard! I LOVED Costco's pizza, and red baron's 4 cheese with the green flecks! LOL. And don't get me started on Peter Piper's pizza...My family went there ALL the time for that pizza. I'm so mad there aren't any peter piper's out here!

    Oh and Mama's....God I miss that place! I lived right across the street from there. And YES I loved those western door leading to the bathroom! I used to stand behind them I try to hit my brother in the face! LOL good times....I was just talking about Mama's the other day and how when I go back to AZ to visit, it'll be the first place I go back to.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...