10.08.2011

Seven Yard Sale Observations


Remember my bucket list that I've discussed before?  Its really long and not actually written out.

I should add that to my bucket list: "write out bucket list" and then do it.

Anyways on it was something like "host a garage sale, at least once".

True story:  I have never shopped at a yard sale.  Yet I decided to host one, with KM's and my mom's help, of course!  These are my partners in crime. 

Here is what I figured out:

Seven Yard Sale Observations From A First-Timer
  1. Prices should be set high, and haggled down.   This was the hardest part of the whole event for me.  I had no idea what was the going rate for ugly southwestern pottery!  So we guessed and argued and then guessed some more.  Things I thought were over priced by myself, I sold!  Things I thought were under priced by the sticker got haggled down to way less.  You just never know, I guess.
  2. People will buy anything.  A little cosmetic case full of girls headbands.  Again, I knew who's head they were on and what diseases she doesn't have...but people just trust away!  Best $2 that lady ever spent on her kid.  Also, used candles?  Really?  So weird.
  3. Excellent signs make all the difference.  KM made them, she is very proud of them and we still have them for the next time, should we do it again.  We drove around to make sure they worked and they were easily the best signs EVER.  Legible, clear, concise.  Also: pink.
  4. People will buy anything.  A bath mat.  The thing you put in your tub and stand on while you bathe.  The thing you don't dare think about what is living in and growing on.  Granted, it had never been used and we knew where it came from...BUT the lady who bought it didn't know. 
  5. You need to learn Spanish if hosting a yard sale in southern AZ.  How mush?  Lower? Es bueno?  Que talle?  WHAT?  Try telling a young Latina woman that yes that tv works, no I don't have the remote, yes its color and its 10$.  That was a fun conversation.  My spanglish is laughable but I think it gets the point across.  I was very proud.  So was my mother, I think. 
  6. People will buy anything.  A leather jacket with mystery "stuff" all over it.  It was very dirty, I have no idea how you clean leather, so I figured...let's try to sell it!  (A family member donated it.)  It sold.  For a whole $1.  I couldn't believe it - I almost let the lady just have it since I was in such shock. 
  7. Fridays are very big yard sale days!  We made 4/5ths of our money on Friday.  We were spoiled.  We expected so much on Saturday since Friday was so great, but we were let down.  Still, we are thrilled to have made 5/5ths. It was approximately 5.5 times what I was expecting to make.

Next, I gotta cross  "shop at a yard sale" off my list.  I gotta get brave.  I like thrift store shopping, but yard sale shopping just feels...different.

Are you a yard sailor?  (see what I did there?)

PS: Totally forgot that my 100th post is coming up...and this was it!  So much for doing something special to celebrate?!  yay me!

3 comments:

  1. It's been 100 posts already? That is crazy! And I love this one. :) I try to be brave and shop at yard sales, but inevitably I make Justin get out of the car and look around and I just chill in the car. Also I don't think I get up early enough to find awesome treasures and I will just say this: people in Provo FAIL at making awesome signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also people will practically drive into the sale to see if there is anything they want. No we do not have any guns or weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Still, we are thrilled to have made 5/5ths." - - such a charming sentence! And, great post!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...