9.03.2011

Seven Arguements Against Blue Food



Happy Holiday Weekend Everybody! 

I hope everyone takes care of themselves this weekend and has copious amounts of barbecue and summer foods!  Eegees' FOM is Original Orange, FYI!!


I'll be around, working!  We get a lot of funny requests in the kitchen and a common one that I try to avoid is blue foods. 

Lemme preface that to let you know that I have nothing against the color blue.  Its a lovely color, really.  Especially where it occurs naturally - sky/ocean.  Its a beautiful eye color on the fellas, am I right ladies?  I enjoy rooms decorated with blue, paintings painted with blue, blue clothing.  I just have an issue with it in food.


I've been asked about a blue wedding cake.  Not the icing, not the decorations but the actual cake.  Its definitely possible.  It has been done for sure, but I would prefer not to deal in blue food.

Can I tell you why?

Okay, good!






Seven Reasons I Avoid Blue Food

  • It doesn't occur naturally.  This alone is enough for some people.  There is no truly blue food.  Even things like blueberries appear blue but are actually purple when you cook with them or use them in other food.  
  • Blue Mouth.  This is the biggest anti-blue-food-at-a-wedding selling point.  Do you really want all of your guests to walk around with purple-ish lips and blue tongues?  All those memories encapsulated in those photographs, marred by blue mouths. 
  • Blue Terror.  Since it doesn't occur naturally, it can't be created naturally and looks just a little weird, like the picture I included above.  It can actually frighten me when I see artificially blue food on a buffet or even just in pictures.  I can't be alone on this...
  • Unhealthy.  Food color (any color) is actually not that good for you.  There are studies that prove this and now thankfully you can get a lot of natural food colors but they don't achieve the bright and bold colors people like. For another reason that its not good for you, look to my next reason...
  • Blue Terror v2.0.  Ever eat a lot of blue food and have a heart attack when you look in the toilet the next day?  I thought I was for sure dying once.  Too much grape soda...won't be making that mistake again.  Any color does this but the shades that come after too much blue and purple foods is...amazing and quite frightening until you realize what you ate. 
  • Confused Children.  Blue Raspberry is a flavor that is marketed to all kids.  Blue raspberry yogurt, snow cones, candies, etc.  Guess what, raspberries aren't blue.  They are red and these poor kids are trying to learn and be smart so we can compete in the world market...yet they are being taught that raspberries are blue.  Way to go, America.  
  • The Funky Aftertaste.  Ever eat some red velvet cake and have a weird aftertaste?  Or some of your kids birthday cake that was neon shades of blue and green?  Yeah that is what food color does to food.  Imagine my perspective here, I work really hard to make delicious food and then you ask me to dump a few ounces of chemicals into it to make it look a certain way which completely negates all my hard work!  Also, yuck no thanks.



Maybe I'm a little strange for being so passionate about blue food.  I know there are several others in my field that have the same feeling.  I still do it, but I encourage light blues and other alternatives.  Purple is much easier...I know lots of purple-y foods. 

How do you feel about blue food? Or artificially colored food?


As a side note, this is my first post with a dedication.  This is for KT, you know who you are!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:04:00 PM

    Love this! Thank you!

    Blue food does not taste good. Neither does red velvet cake, I never understood the craze.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...