9.01.2011

Seven Reasons My Mom is Awesome

Happy September!

I can't believe its already the ninth(and best) month already!  And what an exciting month it shall be!  I have a couple more themed weeks planned for you and one week where all posts will be done by my army of guest bloggers! 

To kick off the month, we are celebrating a very special birthday today!  Today is my Mom's birthday!  She is enjoying a quiet day and has no idea this post is coming.  Knowing her, I'll get a text after this posts telling me of what I spelled wrong or what sort of factual errors I have included accidentally.  I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Let's get right down to the brass tax. My Mom is obviously amazing - look at me.  Truth is, she is better than your mom.  Yeah.  I said it.  Facts are facts!


Seven Reasons My Mom Is Awesome
  • Smarts.  My mom is one of the top 3 smartest people I know.  She has a very important, fancy job which she kicks butt at and puts that college education to use.  Also, the family machine that she runs daily which is no simple feat.  Most importantly and the biggest thing I am trying to learn from her, she has an incredible ability to think things through and weigh the pros and cons and leave emotion out of the equation.  I call her all giddy and excited about a sale on something and she asks me a few questions and says Dev, that's not a sale its a ploy to get you to spend more money(or something like that).  Yeah, it bursts my bubble but she is (almost) always right.  
  • Cookie Mom.  This could go two ways.  She taught me to make cookies and lick the beaters back in the day, and now its my profession so clearly she is pretty okay at making cookies.  What I remember the most vividly is being a girl scout for many years and selling the cookies most of those years.  There always had to be a cookie mom who received the entire troops' cookie orders and divided amongst us girls for distribution and then she also collected the money and tallied it all up.  Not to mention the booth sales, in front of grocery stores, these were also her responsibility.  My mom did this for several years and was far and above the very best cookie mom that troop #357 ever had!  She used a lot of those smarts I was telling you about...
  • B-E-A-utiful!  My mom is very pretty and always has been as far as I can tell from photos and whatnot.  She hates having her picture taken but I love the ones I have of her because they capture her how I've always known her.  On more than one occasion we have actually been mistaken for sisters, as we look very much alike. 
  • Honest and Helpful.  She will always do anything to help anyone out in our very close knit family.  She often is turned to at tax time by all of her kids, her kids' friends, her own taxes and she loves to help.  Full disclosure - she loves numbers and math and spreadsheets.  She does all of this without complaining and never expecting anything in return.  She tells me like it is, whether or not I want to hear it and has often told me straight out when I am acting stupid.  I wouldn't trade that pure honesty for anything in the world.
  • Fun.  She is a very fun lady to be around!  She thinks differently and I have such a good time just hanging out with her(and my dad too, they're a package deal!)  I spend many of my days off in Tucson just hanging out with my mom and dad.  I know many people that don't like to hang out with their parents.  I'm lucky I guess. 
  • Inspiration.  I'm not sure how she did it(best guess is witchcraft), but she is my inspiration in life.  If I live a life half as successful as hers I will consider my life complete.  Yes, everyone has flaws and makes mistakes but my Mom has learned and grown from any bumps in her road.  She is so awesome, its just hard to put it into words that make sense to anybody but me. 
  • She married my Dad and they made me!  This is by far her biggest accomplishment, having me!  They got more than they bargained for all those years ago, and if they know what's good for them, they will tell you it was the greatest thing either of them ever did.  Creating this miracle child who is now the mastermind of this great blog.  You all owe her a big thank you!

Happy Birthday Mom!  Love you!

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday momo! You are the best second mom I could ask for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah B.7:52:00 PM

    HAHAHA this cracks me up. I say reason number 8 is her love and spreading of love of Gilmore Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does it crack you up?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sarah b.9:30:00 PM

    Sorry should have been more specific.... #7 cracks me up. I love how you word things. Wish I was that creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sarah! That means a lot to me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie H (from Omos)9:24:00 PM

    I remember your mom running the girl scout cookie sales! I remember she did something one year, (as I had stingy neighbors who wouldn't buy much from me) and somehow "averaged" our troops sales or something....all I know is that I hadn't sold enough to really get any "prizes" and then when we went to your house, I remember everyone got the little figurine with the frog on it. I remember my mom asking your mom why I got one, because I wasn't able to sell enough to get one, and your mom was like, "Don't worry about it." I still have that figurine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...