9.28.2011

Seven Pastry Pairs

I work in pastry.  Now you know.

I've been doing it for six years professionally and several more as a hobby.

In the 'biz I've followed the trends closely and have my own opinions on these things.  Ask me about cupcakes, whoopie pies and macaroons another time, when we both have plenty of free time!

Any pastry professional I have ever met has a style.  I never thought I had my own style until recently.  As in the last year.  Without spilling all of my secrets all over the web, I want to share with you some of my favorite things.  Today I want to tell you my seven favorite pastry pairs, NOT pears.  Shall we?


Seven Favorite Pastry Pairs
  • Apples & Cinnamon These two are the ultimate Batman and Robin in the entire world, sweet and savory.  The earthy cinnamon is the perfect Robin.  Always there when you need it, always doing his job well, never thanked but always missed in his absence.  The Batman apples just have to show up to the party because once again, Robin is doing all the work.  Perfect Example: Apple Pie.
  • Salt & Caramel This combination is relatively new but not surprising at all.  I love salt.  No secret there, I am a red blooded American, we all love salt and our health issues can prove that!  Caramel and I go way back and our bond will never be broken.  I would prefer to bathe in caramel sauce because I feel like its the perfect replacement for water/soap/lotion.  Also if it got into your mouth by accident it wouldn't need to be spit out like soap.  Perfect Example: Soft caramel candies with a hearty sprinkle of sea salt.
  • Dark Chocolate & Mint This combination has never ever let me down.  Good chocolate, bad chocolate, real mint and fake mint it always works.  Something about it just takes me to my happy place.  I don't need the bright green color, but it helps.  Ice cream is a prime example and I devour it by the gallon, thanks Blue Bell and Sweet Republic!  Perfect Example: Thin Mints.
  • Lemon & Blueberry I have a confession: I am not a big fan of raw blueberries.  I know, I know.  BUT! As soon as you cook them down or bake them into something else they are my jam!  Combined with the tart freshness of a lemon its the perfect 1,2 punch.  Also happens to naturally make the most beautiful colors.  Perfect Example: Lemon cheesecake with blueberry compote.
  • Vanilla & Raspberry Vanilla is my drug.  I know it sounds boring and just plain vanilla, but its so complex.  Vanilla beans have distinct notes and qualities much like wine varietals and chocolate origins.  I am very partial to ANYTHING with vanilla beans in it but when you put a tart raspberry element anywhere near that vanilla bean laden creation, I proceed to a comatose state of awesome overload.  Perfect Example:  Vanilla bean creme brulee with fresh raspberries. 
  • Pumpkin & Brown Sugar  Seeing as how fall is approaching you may think this is a seasonal selection.  Guess again.  I appreciate pumpkin year round and many thanks to Libby for making that happen!  Pumpkin can be made into anything and is pretty tasty with all the spices that come with it, you really can't mess it up.  However, if you add brown sugar it kicks it up and makes a special treat even more special.  Perfect example: Pumpkin pie with brown sugar whipped cream. 
  • Strawberries & Peppercorn  This is another not so normal combo.  Combining the best berry ever with a savory peppercorn sounds silly.  I know.  When done correctly with good pepper and perfect summer berries this combo is a version of my own personal nirvana.  Perfect Example: strawberry shortcake infused with peppercorns. 
My runner up is peanut butter and chocolate.  Trust me, I won't sleep well having left them off this list today but I can't help how I feel in this minute!  Please forgive me peanut butter gods!

I bet there's more than just a few banana peanut butter lovers out there, too.  Sorry.  

2 comments:

  1. Peach and lavender. Peach pie with a lavender streusel. Yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:09:00 PM

    Passion fruit and chocolate is mine.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...