8.13.2011

Seven Essential Summer Foods

Saturday! Its the last weekend of summer for some people around here.  Bummer for them. 


I haven't really had a summer vacation in 6-7 years, so it means nothing to me except my birthday is rapidly approaching and then Christmas!  Then we just rinse and repeat.  Some people really take summer to the extreme.  They switch out their closet and rotate their footwear.  Stop eating warm foods and simply eat chilled delicacies.  Not me.  No big deal to me.  Its hot.  Its sticky.  It rains randomly here in Arizona.  I don't care to swim too much, I don't vacation strictly during the summer months so its just kinda another season for me.


Herc has given me his essential list of summer foods.  What he doesn't know is that I am using my magical privileges as the owner of this blog and adding my own commentary(in orange)!


Herc’s 7 Essential Summer Foods
  • Popsicles and other ice cream novelties (red white and blue bomb pops and rocket pops) from the ice cream man or, in a pinch, the freezer.  I can't believe Herc is forgetting about Cherry Popsicles and otter pops!  Bomb pops make my lips blue and I really can't stand blue food(more on that in an upcoming blog post!).  They even had awesome Root Beer Popsicles at one point.  If I recall, Herc has a certain affinity for root beer...
  •  Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream - if you haven’t had it, it’s probably because you can’t get it as it’s only available in certain pockets of our great land.  If you haven't had it, you are missing out!  If you have confused it for "blue bunny", don't talk to me anymore.  I have had the distinct pleasure of touring their headquarters in Brenham, TX.  Ice cream has never been the same for me, you could say it was religious.  Blue Bell is the only ice cream that holds a candle to Sweet Republic 
  • Watermelon - whole, half, sliced, cubed, balled, seeded, seedless, orange, yellow, pink, warm, cold, whatever, whenever.  Might I add: salted, compressed, souped, sorbet-ed?  Word.
  • Tuna salad sandwiches are apples + onions + bread and butter pickles + Miracle Whip + whole wheat pita pocket = nirvana.  HERC!  I've totally had this tuna salad!  Skip the pita, add some whole wheat bread and we are good to go.  My question is: why confine this to the summer?
  • BBQ - it really doesn’t matter what the meat or the cut is, cooking meat over flame is what we do best as human beings. Well that and making other human beings.  Yes!
  • Hot Dogs - Herc’s with Devyn on this one. The soft bun, the boiled or steamed “dog” and these condiments are what Herc is made of: ketchup, Kraft American singles x 2, sweet relish and diced onions. Nom, nom, nom.  No joke. Went to Costco yesterday to have one of their hot dogs.  Only, the food court area was closed for some reason.  Say it with me: de-nied.
  • Eegee’s frozen fruit drinks especially Orange Dream, Cherry Cider, Pina Colada, Galactic Grape, Lucky Lime and Sour Cherry - sorry, they are strictly a Southern Arizona thing.  One of the things I miss most about not living in Tucson!  Again, Herc forgot another killer flavor: Root Beer.  In honor of the rodeo holidays every year, they serve this flavor for a week.  I travel to the nearest Eegee's(Casa Grande, FYI) all the time and can often consume my weight in this treat...thrice.

I would also like to add something: Corn on the Cob.  Grilled, salad-ed, ice creamed, no matter what it is get it in my belly!

What must you have in the summer time?  Add to this list in the comments!

PS I have a surprise for you starting tomorrow... 

5 comments:

  1. I am not an Eegee's fan, but I totally LOVE Jamba Juice Orange Dream Machine! YUMMMMMM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can you not be an Eegees fan and be from Tucson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this and eegees are the best year round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Is that Alexa's grandma? Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love nectarines, peaches and apricots during the summer. So good. Love summer fruit!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...