8.09.2011

Seven Ways To Say Seven

Hola!

I have a silly post for you today.  It didn't require a lot of thought or thinking but it is incredibly fascinating.  I love languages and people who speak them.  I enjoy learning vocabulary in many languages!

I can count to 10 in several languages: English, Spanish, French, German, and sometimes Latin( I usually have to think about it...).  I just can't speak any languages fluently other than English.  Yes I'm Mexican.  No  I don't know Spanish.  Yes I am ashamed.  No I don't want to talk about this anymore. 

Let's say seven in many ways. 

Seven Ways To Say Seven:
  • Seven.   English first!  Seven rhymes with heaven, Devyn, eleven and some other words!  Yes it is my favorite number.  Shocking, right?
  • Shichi/Nana.  There is a Japanese lady at my work.  Hi Masayo!  She speaks the language.  She teaches us all kinds of crazy things and she says them in ways we can easily remember.  "Don't touch my mustache"  is how I remember how to say you're welcome.  Its actually "Douitashimashite".  I asked her how to say seven and she said there are two ways.  They are pronounced exactly how they are spelled. 
  • Siete.  Spanish is one of the prettiest languages I have ever heard.  Saying siete is easy and makes you sound fancy!
  • Sept.  I took French for fun in high school.  An extra class as a senior because I was THAT kid.  It helps a lot with my career and understanding what certain things are.  But why is sept seven and sept-ember is the 9th month?  Not cool with me(born in september). 
  • VII.  Roman numerals are just cool.  I love to write years in roman numerals.  Like, MCMLXXXVII for example. 
  • Sieben.  German is easily one of the scarier languages.  Like when a man is yelling in German its much scarier than English or Spanish or whatever. 
  • Septem.  Latin, the root of all languages.  Again with the similarities to September.  Can anyone explain this to me?

There ya go.  A quick bit of learning to start the day off right!  Don't touch my mustache.

Do you know any others?  Italian maybe? Chinese? Polish? Teach me!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27:00 PM

    I think originally March was the first month of the year. I could be wrong. But if that was the case, then September would have been the 7th month. Google it!! Kathy Meindl

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! The Roman calendar had March as the first month!

    Mrs g, teaching me for more years than I care to count!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...