8.21.2011

Seven Memorable Teachers

Sunday Sunday Sunday!

I really like Sundays.  Always have.  They remain my second favorite day of the week.  I generally work on Sundays.  Quiet, easy days.

Sundays back when I was in school were pretty neat too because I was always gearing up for the school week.  I always loved school and looked forward to more school.  So, Sundays were my lead in for the school week.  I was really fortunate to have mostly great teachers and only a couple not so great ones.  I have always wondered what my teachers thought of me when I was younger.

Was I a brat? Too talkative?  Was I beyond my grade because of my supreme genius?  I think I was a major kiss ass with just a little too much attitude.  I may never know!

I do know I had some unforgettable teachers.  Teachers that I will always remember for one reason or another.  I am thankful for these teachers.  Truth be told I am thankful for all teachers and all that they do!

Some teachers and students have returned to their schools already and many others start back in tomorrow.  In honor of the back to school season, I am putting together back to school week for you!  Let's jump right in!

image found here


Seven Teachers I Will Never Forget:
  • Mrs. Yonkers - High School French.  I took French for fun during my senior year and did very well.  I can't speak it very well but I can read most of the fancy labeled food in my kitchen now!  A very smart thing to do, and I learned from a very wonderful teacher.  She always encouraged me to be a better version of myself and I carry that lesson on with me even still.
  • Mrs. Neeley - 6th Grade.  She taught us the Greek alphabet and the song that went with it.  I still know it and it comes in handy during trivia!  Sixth grade was one of my favorite years and I owe it all to her.  She kept all of us kids in line and taught us in the most innovative ways.  Even now I remember that you can't learn everything out of a book. 
  • Mrs. Petty - Music/Choir.  I went to Catholic school until high school and she led our church choir(and still does).  She was just always a good time and every kid I knew looked forward to music class or  choir practice or the school musical.  I remember her as the cool teacher that always knew the purpose of time and place. 
  • Mrs. G - Second 1st grade Teacher.  In first grade, my teacher left partway through the year for some reason and so did the other room's first grade teacher.  They brought in two new teachers for us and they flip flopped between our rooms for the rest of the year.  It was a very memorable year(long, long ago!).   I don't have any specific memories with her as my teacher but as I moved through the school I remember her as always looking out for me!  Later, she was both of my brothers' teacher and she went above and beyond for the three of us.  She's got another name now, but she will always be Mrs. G to me!
  • Ms. Martin - Science Lab.  Unfortunately for kids these days, Ms. Martin doesn't teach science lab anymore.  She is in Haiti doing God's work.  Because of her, I dissected a cow's eyeball and saw firsthand the affects of smoking on lungs.  She had actual lungs of a smoker for us to see.  This is why I do not smoke.  Thanks for that(among many other things).
  • Mr. Dudash - High School English.  Craziest teacher I ever had.  Just plain crazy!  But he taught us Homer's Odyssey with those crazy ways and I actually read the book!  That's a big fat book that is not written in clear English!  David Dudash was The MAN! 
  • Mr. Miller - High School Art.  This guy was no hero of mine.  He was rude and always smelled of dank coffee.  We had to take one art class and he taught drawing and painting.  I took this my freshman year as my first class of the day.  I had no friends in the class and I was assigned a seat in the back of the room.  We did a bunch of random assignments in every medium.  I enjoyed myself but wasn't that great.  I never aspired to be an artist.  His criticisms were always the same.  "You have no perception" "You will never do this and make money" "Do you ever think in a creative manner?" "Don't pursue a career in an artistic field."  Thanks for keeping it real, sir.  Ugh.  

Them's them.   Did you have any awesome teachers?  Are YOU an awesome teacher?  Talk to me. 

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Mr. Dudash....he terrified me and awed me at the same time. Why in the heck were we reading "A Demon Haunted World" in 9th grade??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He shielded us from nothing. That was his deal. Loved it. But I agree about terror and awe at the same time...completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:42:00 PM

    Aw, Devyn, I am so touched that I made your list!! I wish, I wish, I wish I could have been your teacher for a real school year. I was so young back then and so fresh out of college. I really enjoyed having your brothers in my class and getting to know you and your family a bit better. Kathy Meindl

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! I love Adina's comment about Dudash - he was so CRAZY! So cynical and lovable at once...so weird.

    I want to add Mrs Knott to the list - she was the best English teacher! I can see myself growing up to be a little too finicky about the English language, just like her. I bet she decorates with doilies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms Neeley was.just.awesome. Simple as that. I still know my entire list of prepositions and Greek alphabet as well because of her. It came in handy last week when I was arguing with someone what came after delta.....epsilon! Score!

    I remember her best that one day Demetrie got hit in the head hard with a basketball and had to be sent out via 911. Everyone was so shaken and upset by that, and I remember her cancelling her lessons for that day, and walking us over to the church, putting money in the candle-box and lighting one of those electronic candles for him and having us all engage in a prayer for him. Then afterwards we were hanging in the chuch talking about him and the stuff he did to make us laugh. She was an amazing teacher and person and made such a tremendous impact on me. 6th grade was just epic for me and she was a major part of that....

    ReplyDelete

Keep it friendly, friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...